Miami Sexual Orientation Discrimination Attorneys
Standing Up for the Legal Rights of Florida Workers
In Miami-Dade County, it is illegal to discriminate against anyone in the workplace on the basis of their gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation. When a co-worker, manager, or executive mistreats an employee unfairly due to one of these attributes, it is crucial that they be held accountable for their behavior.
The team at Remer & Georges-Pierre PLLC has provided reliable legal representation for clients who have suffered unethical treatment at work throughout the state of Florida. If you identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, non-binary, or another identity that falls under the LGBTQ+ umbrella and you have been a victim of workplace discrimination due to your gender or sexual orientation, call our Miami sexual orientation discrimination lawyers today and get started on building a case.
What Is Gender Discrimination?
Fair treatment in the workplace is simple: an employer may not treat a person differently due to their gender identity or sexual orientation, be it through hiring, termination, salary, or any other aspect of the job. It is always illegal to discriminate against someone on this basis. If you have been mistreated in this capacity, now is the time to act and help your employer make the corrections that will make their workplace culture ethical for future employees.
LGBTQ+ Discrimination Laws in Florida
While there is no statewide law that prohibits sexual orientation discrimination, in Miami, The Miami-Dade Human Rights Ordinance prohibits employers from discriminating against employees and job applicants that are Gay and Lesbian or part of the LGBTQ+ community.
Even if you don’t live in the Miami area, we encourage you to reach out to our firm to discuss your case. Dozens of Florida counties have similar laws in place and rights for individuals who identify as LGBTQ+ have continued to improve over the years. If there is any way we can take your case, we are willing to fight for you.
Examples of Sexual Orientation Discrimination
Workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation can take many forms. Below are some examples:
- A contractor fixing equipment in your office openly makes homophobic jokes slurs and your employer does not stop them.
- You and your spouse are denied health benefits because you are a same sex couple.
- You are denied the opportunity to work on a new project because you recently came out to your supervisor.
- You are wrongfully terminated for complaining to HR that you believe you are being discriminated against for being LGBTQ+.
- Your colleague tells offensive LGBTQ+ jokes that you have repeatedly asked them to stop.
- Your company insists you use the bathroom designated for the gender you were assigned at birth.
- Your employer insists you wear gender-specific clothing.
- Your manager refuses to use the proper pronouns for your gender identity.
How Our Firm Can Help
If you are considering filing a claim, we recommend doing the following as soon as possible:
- File a complaint about the discrimination in writing to your HR department (if you have one).
- Gather any evidence that could help your case, including email correspondence, notes you took based on your experiences, and anything else you think may help.
- Contact an experienced Miami sexual orientation discrimination lawyer immediately.
Our team has extensive experience helping clients to build effective cases that hold employers accountable. The law is clear in these situations, so once a case is made proving there was unethical treatment, having an experienced Miami employment lawyer on your side can make help employers act correctly. While it can be tempting to believe that HR will take your side on such matters, the truth is they are often there to solely represent the interests of the company. We are here to represent you.
Call (305) 416-5000 now and get started on your case today. FREE consultations available!